If you could tell your younger self all the secrets you know now.... would you?? OF COURSE!!!
We would do anything, not to suffer the pain we have suffered. Yes, all that suffering has made us
stronger, wiser and able to help others going through it now. But, we still would have preferred not
to have gone through it.
Since we did... here are some big words of wisdom. Since we can't really go back and sit with
our younger self and have this really important conversation. Lets have the conversation with our daughters and sons.
Maybe your kids, friends. Youth group kids. It's time to STOP Domestic Violence. So lets STOP it, before it starts.
1 of 3 women are abused in their life time, by someone close to them. (Spouse, boyfriend, family member)
1. Any red flags - does he lie, cheat, do drugs or drinks. (abusers don't become abusers because they are drunk
or on drugs. Many will abuse without any self medicating.) You deserve better. Follow your instinct.
It is usually 99 % right.
2. Do you make excuses for his behavior or actions.
3. Does he put you down, say negative things. Does he respect your boundaries?
4. IMPORTANT - how do they treat the people in their life? Are they sarcastic, talk bad about them?
5. How do they handle their personal life. Are they responsible? Are they responsible with money?
6. Do they care for others? How do they treat animals?
7. The most IMPORTANT thing... Do they have God part of their life? It is not a matter of knowing the words
in the Bible, but how they live their lives, that will show you, if they truly know what Jesus says in the Bible.
You don't want to date and then marry someone you think will be ok. No matter HOW MUCH YOU LOVE HIM. You have to
step back and look deeper into the reason of the relationship. If God's plan for your life, is to marry, than HE
has someone pretty amazing. You may have to wait for him. But, isn't it worth the wait, then to go through any
form of abuse. Enjoy that journey of singleness. Let GOD fill your heart.
You deserve a love, like Jesus loved the Church.
- Domestic Violence UnMasked, Inc.